- According to Adobe Analytics, holiday shopping on Cyber Monday broke existing records, with consumers spending US$9.4bn, a 19.7% increase yoy.
- Notably, mobile transactions reached US$3.1bn, recoding the highest yoy growth ever recorded for this date.
Analysis and Comments
- In a way the newsflow speaks for itself. It is clear that the trend to online is continuing and that the main driver continues to be mobile.
- While some of the shift is about price discovery, there is also a big role for convenience, as highlighted by the comments around the importance of one day shipping & work being done on payment systems.
- One question the shift to online raises is what does it mean for margins
- While the outlook may be depressing, it worth highlighting that analysts still expect margin erosion to continue as store lfl declines continue.