- The global distribution company UPS has committed to purchase 10,000 electric powered delivery vehicles from UK based Arrival
- The delivery vans have been jointly developed specifically for the company
- The order value is estimated at c. £340m and the vans will be delivered progressively over the next 4 years
- UPS has an option to purchase another 10,000 vans, in addition to the first order.
Analysis and Comments
- It's interesting to see that the order has gone to a new start up (Arrival was founded 2015) rather than one of the established OEM’s.
- As well as placing this large order UPS has also taken an undisclosed stake in Arrival. This follows a larger stake taken by Kia & Hyundai earlier in the year.
- As with its passenger car “peer” Tesla, Arrival does not use a production line approach, with the vans instead being robotically built on an island system, with all parts being modular.
You don't want to miss a Crypto news?
Come try out a great blockchain game: Splinterlands