Cryptocurrency used as money: methods and places to use cryptocurrency to buy goods and services.
100 Places to buy everyday stuff with cryptocurrency.
Any discussion of cryptocurrency as money, must include a discussion of using cryptocurrency to buy goods and services. My research into places where I could buy common goods and services with cryptocurrency yielded 100 places in a few hours of research. I found places to buy food, haircuts, groceries, clothing and professional services with cryptocurrencies. The worlds businesses have developed three ways which I have found that make cryptocurrency easy to use to buy real world goods and services. They are:
- Gift cards,
- Coin exchangers for retailers and
- Direct payment acceptance software.
I would like to elaborate a little on each, and share what I learned in this post.
Several gift card retailers take Bitcoin, so you can buy gift cards from over 10, 000 retailers worldwide because today’s economy and its businesses are global. Then you can use these gift cards to buy just about everything from groceries, haircuts, pet food, clothing and jewelry, as there are thousands of retailers who have gift cards.
Coin exchanges which cater to retailers
These coin exchanges don’t do business just with cryptocurrency traders, they also provide services to retailers, where they are the electronic middlemen between buyers with crypto and retailers with various goods. The transaction goes like this: you agree to pay a certain price in a fiat currency like US Dollars, you give your cryptocurrency to an coin exchanger like Coinbase or BitPay and they give the retailer fiat like US dollars and the retailers gives you the item. But those three steps are invisible to you. You just indicate on the at checkout that you would like to pay for your item in cryptocurrency, instead of VISA, Mastercard, Amex or PayPal. This requires a little research because originally thi# was limited to Bitcoin, but now their are many retailers utilizing systems created by entities like Coinbase, Bitfly and ShapeShifter to name a few, which allow retailers to accept many Altcoins like Litecoin, Ripple, Dash and of course STEEM.
Some retailers and business will take your cryptocurrency directly and others use a middleman like the Cryptocurrency exchanger ShapeShift to accept 40-45 different Altcoins from you, which the ShapeShift company turns into Bitcoin and gives to the retailer. This process is similar to PayPal or where your indicate what your would like to buy, select your payment method and instead of being sent to the PayPal site to complete payment you go to ShapeShift pay with your altcoin, then your sent back to the retailers site to complete the transaction.
100 places to buy everyday stuff with cryptocurrency.
These are places which except Bitcoin and one or more of at least 45 other cryptocurrencies. This list of goods and services is lifted from the webpages I found them on, so there is some paraphrasing for brevity, but you can assume they are quotes. The reference pages are listed at the end of the article.
Overstock.com was the first big online retailer to start accepting bitcoins in January of 2014. The company allows its customers to pay for everything with bitcoins. In fact, Overstock.com allows customers to use all the major cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, and 45 other major Altcoins like Ethereum, Litecoin, Dash, Monero, and the new Bitcoin Cash. Overstock.com can do this thorught a deal with another cryptocurrency company called Shapeshift which exchanges bitcoin for one of these 45 other altcoins.
eGifter is a popular gift card site and mobile app that lets users buy gift cards for all sorts of places, including Amazon, JCPenny, Sephora, Home Depot, Kohl's and more. eGifter uses Coinbase as their bitcoin partner. https://www.egifter.com/buy-gift-cards-with-bitcoin/
Gyft: Gift cards you purchase the gift cards over 1000 retailers and at the checkout page you can pay with Bitcoin.
Expedia_ Expedia is one of the world's largest online travel booking agencies and it’s site has over 45,000 hotels. This company is publically trades on NASDAQ one of the worlds largest stock exchanges. It allows it’s customers to pay for their hotel bookings with bitcoins. Expedia has teamed up with Coinbase for its Bitcoin processing. The company plans to expand the payment system via Bitcoins to other segments of its business, like flight bookings.
Newegg electronic retail giant Newegg accepts bitcoin. https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/16-6277/index.html
Shopify an ecommerce platform that allows merchants to set up their own online shops to sell their products similar to Etsy or eBay. In November of 2013, all 75,000+ Shopify merchants received the option to start accepting bitcoin payments with the help of BitPay.
DISH Network Corp (NASDAQ: DISH), the U.S. satellite provider launched a platform for Bitcoin payments in May 2014. Dish network reported revenue of $13.9 billion in 2013 has a subscriber’s base of more than 14 million and over 30,000 employees.”Dish Network” accepts bitcoin.
Roadway Moving Company accepts Bitcoin.
Pizza For Coins: accepts bitcoin and 45 other altcoins as payment for Pizza it delivers fromm any popular pizza store near you like Dominos, Piizza Hut or Poppa Johns.
Intuit Pay By Coin services: Small businesses can accept cryptocurrency payments through Intuit, which offers a PayByCoin service as part of its QuickBooks Online electronic invoice service.
Microsoft: You can use Bitcoin to deposit funds into your Microsoft account. These funds, however, can only be used to purchase games, movies, and apps in the Windows and Xbox stores; you can't use them to buy things from the Microsoft online store.
REEDS Jewelers Inc, headquartered in North Carolina with retail stores in 65 locations across 15 states, is a big name jewelry retailer that accepts Bitcoins. The retailer also has an online presence. REEDS Jewelers Inc is the first fine jeweler to accept Bitcoins for online transactions, as well as in store shopping at all its retail locations.
CheapAir: The travel company has been accepting bitcoin payments since 2013 and is the only one that will accept the currency as payment for air travel. The company in a July, 2018 press release announced that its sale of flights and hotels in Bitcoin exceeded $1.5 million. Transactions are finalized using your Coinbase wallet. It is also the first online travel agency in the world to accept Bitcoin, an entirely digital currency, as a method of payment for flights on CheapAir.com!
More Stamps Global: More Stamps Global announced in August 2018 that it would being accepting 'forty different popular cryptocurrencies.' You can choose from flights, activities, hotels, and even transfers when booking travel. Allowing customers to pay for hotels, rental cars, and other travel experiences using any one of 40 different cryptocurrencies also opens a lot of options for some travelers. https://www.morestamps.global/
OkCupid: As of January, 2018 the dating website OkCupid is accepting digital currency from their A-list members who wish to pay their fees with the new hot “coin”. OkCupid is one of the biggest dating websites in the United States, thanks to its analytical matching algorithms. The website uses math to get compatible dates to its members. It also has an interesting and insightful blog, called OkTrends. The website is free, but there’s a list of A-members who pay a nominal fee that allows them to customize their online dating experience, browse profiles anonymously and search for other members with special attributes. https://99bitcoins.com/okcupids-a-list-members-can-pay-fees-with-bitcoins/
Etsy Vendors (e-commerce, some Etsy sellers accept bitcoin as payment) ; https://www.etsy.com/teams/10366/bitcoin/members
Zynga mobile and video games online retailer. https://www.zynga.com/games-for-good/
Read more: OkCupid's A-list members can now pay fees with Bitcoins | 99Bitcoins
Kentucky Fried Chicken in Canada accepts bitcoin for fried chicken. https://www.coindesk.com/kfc-canada-is-accepting-bitcoin-for-fried-chicken
Playboy accepts cryptocurrency payments for Adult content. https://www.coindesk.com/playboy-tv-to-accept-crypto-payments-for-exclusive-adult-content
Dell, the well known multinational computer manufacturer, accepts Bitcoins for purchases made from Dell.comthrough its partnership with Coinbase. Coinbase is not only a Bitcoin wallet but also an exchange, where Bitcoins are bought and sold for U.S. dollars at the market rate. Customers after selecting their product and filling in the shipment details just need to select Bitcoins from amongst the various options available. Dell is an American multinational computer technology company based in Round Rock, Texas, United States, that develops, sells, repairs, and supports computers and related products and services. Named after its founder, Michael Dell, the company is one of the largest technological corporations in the world, employing more than 103,300 people in the U.S. and around the world.
Virgin Galactic – Richard Branson company that includes Virgin Mobile and Virgin Airline
Namecheap – Domain name registrar
Wikipedia – The Free Encyclopedia with 4 570 000+ article
Alza – Largest Czech online retailer
The Internet Archive – web documatation company
Bitcoin.Travel – a travel site that provides accommodation, apartments, attractions, bars, and beauty salons around the world
Pembury Tavern – A pub in London, England
Old Fitzroy – A pub in Sydney, Australia
The Pink Cow – A diner in Tokyo, Japan
The Pirate Bay –
Zynga – Mobile gaming
4Chan.org – For premium services EZTV – Torrents TV shows provider
Mega.co.nz – The new venture started by the former owner of MegaUpload Kim Dotcom
Lumfile – Free cloud base file server – pay for premium services
Whole Foods – Organic food store (by purchasing gift card from Gyft)
Bitcoincoffee.com – Buy your favorite coffee online
Grass Hill Alpacas – A local farm in Haydenville, MA
Jeffersons Store – A street wear clothing store in Bergenfield, N.J
Helen’s Pizza – Jersey City, N.J., you can get a slice of pizza for 0.00339 bitcoin by pointing your phone at a sign next to the cash register
A Class Limousine – Pick you up and drop you off at Newark (N.J.) Airport
Okay, I got tired of numbering them and just started listing them.
Seoclerks.com – Get SEO work done on your site cheap
Mint.com – Mint pulls all your financial accounts into one place. Set a budget, track your goals and do more
Fancy.com – Discover amazing stuff, collect the things you love, buy it all in one place.
Bloomberg.com – Online newspaper .
Humblebundle.com – Indie game site
BigFishGames.com – Games for PC, Mac and Smartphones (iPhone, Android, Windows)
untimes.com – Chicago based online newspaper \
San Jose Earthquakes – San Jose California Professional Soccer Team (MLS)
Crowdtilt.com – The fastest and easiest way to pool funds with family and friends
- Lumfile – Server company that offers free cloud-based servers
- Museum of the Coastal Bend – 2200 East Red River Street, Victoria, Texas 77901, USA
- Gap, have to use eGifter.com
- GameStop have to use eGifter.com
- JC Penney – have to use eGifter.com
- Fight for the Future – Leading organization finding for Internet freedom
- i-Pmart (ipmart.com.my) – A Malaysian online mobile phone and electronic parts retailer
- curryupnow.com – A total of 12 restaurants on the list of restaurants accept bitcoins in San Francisco Bay Area
- Libertarian Party – United States political party
- Yacht-base.com – Croatian yacht charter company
- Euro Pacific – A major precious metal dealer
- CEX – The trade-in chain has a shop in Glasgow, Scotland that accepts bitcoin
- Straub Auto Repairs – 477 Warburton Ave, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706 – (914) 478-1177
- PSP Mollie – Dutch Payment Service
- Intuit – an American software company that develops financial and tax preparation software and related services for small businesses, accountants and individuals.
- ShopJoy – An Australian online retailer that sells novelty and unique gifts
- Lv.net – Las Vegas high speed internet services
- ExpressVPN.com – High speed, ultra secure VPN network
- Grooveshark – Online music streaming service based in the United States
- Braintree – Well known payments processor
- MIT Coop Store – Massachusetts Institute of Technology student bookstore
- SimplePay – Nigeria’s most popular web and mobile-based wallet service
- SFU bookstore – Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada
- State Republican Party – First State Republican Party to accept bitcoin donations (http://www.lagop.com/bitcoin-donate)
- mspinc.com – Respiratory medical equipment supplies store
- Shopify.com – An online store that allows anyone to sell their products
- Famsa – Mexico’s biggest retailer
- Naughty America – Adult entertainment provider
- Mexico’s Universidad de las Américas Puebla – A major university in Mexico
- MovieTickets.com – Online movie ticket exchange/retailer
- Dream Lover – Online relationship service
- Lionsgate Films – The production studio behind titles such as The Hunger Games and The Day After Tomorrow
- Rakutan – A Japanese e-commerce giant
- Badoo – Online dating network
- RE/MAX London – UK-based franchisee of the global real estate network
- T-Mobile Poland – T-Mobile’s Poland-based mobile phone top-up company
- Stripe – San Francisco-based payments company
- WebJet – Online travel agency
- Green Man Gaming – Popular digital game reseller
- Save the Children – Global charity organization
- NCR Silver – Point of sales systems
- One Shot Hotels – Spanish hotel chain
- Coupa Café in Palo Alto
- PureVPN – VPN provider
- That’s my face – create action figures
- Foodler – North American restaurant delivery company
- Amagi Metals – Precious metal furnisher
- Virgin Galactic, a commercial space flight venture owned by Entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson, that includes companies such as Virgin Mobile and
- Virgin Airline, accepts purchases using Bitcoin. You can even pay for space travel with Bitcoin.
- Surf Air: Regional airline carrier Surf Air announced late last week that it would support bitcoin and ethereum payments for its monthly membership and charter services.
- Sharps Pixley will take bitcoin off your hands in exchange for bullion.
- APMEX will take bitcoin off your hands in exchange for bullion.
- JM Bullion will take bitcoin off your hands in exchange for bullion.
- PWC the Big Four accounting firm accepts Bitcoin
- Popstar Bjork accepts cryptocurrency: Icelandic singer Bjork is to let fans pay with cryptocurrencies when they purchase her forthcoming album dubbed “Utopia.” op Star Bjork to Accept Cryptocurrency Payments for New Album
That’s the end of the list so far!
As you can see there is a number of items you can buy from food to furniture and travel services, using cryptocurrencies.
Shortsegments is a writer focused on cryptocurrency, the blockchain, non-fungible digital tokens or NFTs, and decentralized finance. He has been a community member for more then three years.
He is also a builder, with two current projects:
The first is the No Loss lottery, a prize linked savings account here on Hive, which awards more the 100 Leo in prizes weekly, and which recent surpassed 1000 tickets sold. @nolosslottery
His second project is Easy DeFi, which creates a community investment pool allowing community members not yet confident enough to invest on their own, a chance to easily invest in yield-farming and staking on Cubfinance. @easydefi
Title Picture Credit
www.pixabay.com royalty free photos.
This section reserved for cross referencing other articles on Hive on this topic. Once I have a few articles, I will rewrite them into the body of this article.
Posted Using LeoFinance Beta